Beispielbild für diese ISBN
Titel: The Culture of Gender and Sexuality in the ...
Verlag: University Press of Florida
This Book is in Good Condition. Clean Copy With Light Amount of Wear. 100% Guaranteed. Summary: This volume provides an engaging interdisciplinary approach to the study of gender and sexual relations in the Caribbean. Essays from sociological, literary, historical, and political science approaches cover the Hispanic-, French-, and English-speaking Caribbean areas and address topics such as sexuality, homosexuality, culture, the body, the status of women, and the wider social relations that inform these subjects. Buchnummer des Verkäufers ABE_book_usedgood_0813026776
Inhaltsangabe: ?A major contribution to the scholarship of gender and sexuality in the Caribbean.?--A. Lynn Bolles, University of Maryland
This volume provides an engaging interdisciplinary approach to the study of gender and sexual relations in the Caribbean. Essays from sociological, literary, historical, and political science approaches cover the Hispanic-, French-, and English-speaking Caribbean areas and address topics such as sexuality, homosexuality, culture, the body, the status of women, and the wider social relations that inform these subjects.
Exploring the Intersections of Gender, Sexuality, and Culture in the Caribbean: An Introduction
Part 1. Theoretical Mediations on Gender in the Caribbean
1. Theorizing Ruptures in Gender Systems and the Project of Modernity in the Twentieth Century Caribbean, by Violet Eudine Barriteau
2. The Globalization of the Discourse on Gender and Its Impact on the Caribbean, by Hilbourne Watson
3. Caribbean Masculinity: Unpacking the Narrative, by Linden Lewis
Part 2. The Political Terrain of Gender and Sexuality
4. A Blueprint for Gender in Creole Trinidad: Exploring Gender Mythology through Calypsos of the 1920s and 1930s, by Patricia Mohammed
5. Popular Imageries of Gender and Sexuality: Poor and Working-Class Haitian Women's Discourses on the Use of Their Bodies, by Carolle Charles
6. "The Infamous Crime against Nature": Constructions of Heterosexuality and Lesbian Subversions in Puerto Rico, by Elizabeth Crespo-Kebler
Part 3. Sexual Orientation and Male Socialization in the Caribbean
7. The Role of the Street in the Socialization of Caribbean Males, by Barry Chevannes
8. Masculinity and Power in Puerto Rico, by Rafael Ramírez
9. Queering Cuba: Male Homosexuality in the Short Fiction of Manuel Granados, by Conrad James
Part 4. Gender, Sexuality, and Historical Considerations
10. Struggling with a Structure: Gender, Agency, and Discourse, by Glyne Griffith
11. "It Hurt Very Much at the Time": Patriarchy, Rape Culture, and the Slave Body-Semiotic, by Joseph C. Dorsey
Linden Lewis is associate professor of sociology and anthropology at Bucknell University and the author of numerous articles on the Caribbean.
Dieser Anbieter akzeptiert die folgenden Zahlungsarten:
AbeBooks Verkäufer seit: 7. Mai 2014
We guarantee the condition of every book as it's described on the AbeBooks web
sites. If you're dissatisfied with your purchase (Incorrect Book/Not as
Described/Damaged) or if the order hasn't arrived, you're eligible for a refund
within 30 days of the estimated delivery date. If you've changed your mind
about a book that you've ordered, please use the Ask bookseller a question link
to contact us and we'll respond within 2 business days.
Shipping costs are based on books weighing 2.2 LB, or 1 KG. If your book order is heavy or oversized, we may contact you to let you know extra shipping is required.