Zu dieser ISBN ist aktuell kein Angebot verfügbar.Alle Exemplare der Ausgabe mit dieser ISBN anzeigen:
Based on two years of ethnographic fieldwork in an urban elementary school, this volume is an examination of how school division politics, regional economic policies, parental concerns, urban development efforts, popular cultures, gender ideologies, racial politics, and university and corporate agendas come together to produce educational effects. Unlike conventional school ethnographies, the focus of this work is less on classrooms than on the webs of social relations that embed schools in neighborhoods, cities, states, and regions. Utilizing a variety of narratives and analytical styles, this volume:
* explores how curriculum innovations are simultaneously made possible by and undermined by school district politics, neighborhood histories, and the spatial and temporal organizations of teachers' and parents' lives;
* situates the educational discourse of administrators and teachers in the changing economic and political climates of the city;
* analyzes the motivations behind an effort by school and business proponents to refashion classrooms within the school into business enterprises, and of children's efforts to make sense of the scheme;
* examines the role of the school as a neighborhood institution, situating it at the intersections of city planners' efforts to regulate city space and children's efforts to carve out live spaces through out-of-school routines;
* contemplates the meaning of school as a site for bodily experience, and looks at how patterns of space and control in the school shaped children's bodies, and at how they continued to use body-based languages to construct maturity, gender, and race; and
* investigates the school as a space for the deployment of symbolic resources where children learned and constructed identities through their engagements with television, comic books, movies, and sports.
Tangled Up In School raises questions about how we draw the boundaries of the school, about how schools fit into the lives of children and cities, and about what we mean when we talk about "school."
„Über diesen Titel“ kann sich auf eine andere Ausgabe dieses Titels beziehen.
Buchbeschreibung Routledge, 1997. Hardcover. Zustand: New. Never used!. Bestandsnummer des Verkäufers P110805826521
Buchbeschreibung Lawrence Erlbaum. Zustand: BRAND NEW. BRAND NEW Hardcover-280pp- A Brand New Quality Book from a Full-Time Bookshop in business since 1992!. Bestandsnummer des Verkäufers 2008574
Buchbeschreibung Routledge, 1997. Hardback. Zustand: NEW. 9780805826524 This listing is a new book, a title currently in-print which we order directly and immediately from the publisher. For all enquiries, please contact Herb Tandree Philosophy Books directly - customer service is our primary goal. Bestandsnummer des Verkäufers HTANDREE01306775
Buchbeschreibung Lawrence Erlbaum Assoc Inc, 1997. Hardcover. Zustand: Brand New. 1st edition. 280 pages. 9.50x6.25x1.00 inches. In Stock. Bestandsnummer des Verkäufers __0805826521
Buchbeschreibung Routledge, 1997. Hardcover. Zustand: New. Bestandsnummer des Verkäufers DADAX0805826521
Buchbeschreibung Routledge. Hardcover. Zustand: New. 0805826521 New Condition. Bestandsnummer des Verkäufers NEW7.2022044