Brand New, Unread Copy in Perfect Condition. A+ Customer Service!. Buchnummer des Verkäufers
Inhaltsangabe: A fascinating exploration of the relationship between music and the mind?and the role of melodies in shaping our lives
Whether you load your iPod with Bach or Bono, music has a significant role in your life?even if you never realized it. Why does music evoke such powerful moods? The answers are at last be- coming clear, thanks to revolutionary neuroscience and the emerging field of evolutionary psychology. Both a cutting-edge study and a tribute to the beauty of music itself, This Is Your Brain on Music unravels a host of mysteries that affect everything from pop culture to our understanding of human nature, including:
· Are our musical preferences shaped in utero?
· Is there a cutoff point for acquiring new tastes in music?
· What do PET scans and MRIs reveal about the brain?s response to music?
· Is musical pleasure different from other kinds of pleasure?
This Is Your Brain on Music explores cultures in which singing is considered an essential human function, patients who have a rare disorder that prevents them from making sense of music, and scientists studying why two people may not have the same definition of pitch. At every turn, this provocative work unlocks deep secrets about how nature and nurture forge a uniquely human obsession.
In this groundbreaking union of art and science, rocker-turned-neuroscientist Daniel J. Levitin explores the connection between music—its performance, its composition, how we listen to it, why we enjoy it—and the human brain. Drawing on the latest research and on musical examples ranging from Mozart to Duke Ellington to Van Halen, Levitin reveals:
• How composers produce some of the most pleasurable effects of listening to music by exploiting the way our brains make sense of the world
• Why we are so emotionally attached to the music we listened to as teenagers, whether it was Fleetwood Mac, U2, or Dr. Dre
• That practice, rather than talent, is the driving force behind musical expertise
• How those insidious little jingles (called earworms) get stuck in our heads
And, taking on prominent thinkers who argue that music is nothing more than an evolutionary accident, Levitin argues that music is fundamental to our species, perhaps even more so than language. This Is Your Brain on Music is an unprecedented, eye-opening investigation into an obsession at the heart of human nature.
Buchbeschreibung Buchzustand: Good. May have very light or no surface scratches. Box or case may show minimal signs of wear. Buchnummer des Verkäufers 3IIM01000ADG
Buchbeschreibung Buchzustand: Acceptable. Cover has some rubbing and edge wear. All items ship Mon-Fri. Disc(s) resurfaced with a professional-grade machine. Case shows moderate to high wear and tear. All items include the original case and artwork. All items ship Mon-Fri. Buchnummer des Verkäufers 2Y68H1003NQ3