Gender in Joyce (Florida James Joyce)
AbeBooks Mitglied seit 1996
Beispielbild für diese ISBN
AbeBooks Mitglied seit 1996
Titel: Gender in Joyce (Florida James Joyce)
Verlag: University Press of Florida 1997-12-15
Über diesen Titel
"Varied and insightful views on the function of gender within Joyce’s canon. . . . Presents innovative views from a range of perspectives while avoiding prescriptive or programmatic readings. "--Michael Patrick Gillespie, Marquette University
"Every essay presents new and original approaches to the material. . . . The topic is among the hottest in scholarship generally and Joyce in particular. The essays reflect the evolution of feminist scholarship. . . . Well written, critically informed, and meticulously researched . . . [and] Norris’s introduction is the best, most succinct and knowledgeable summary of the current state of feminist criticism and its relationship to Joyce studies I have ever read."--Zack Bowen, University of Miami
A variety of theoretical orientations distinguishes this collection of essays on gender in Joyce. Contributors explore exciting new areas in feminist and gender studies on subjects as disparate as Joyce’s use of fraternal incest, the cultural code of femme fatale, androgyny and the abject mother, and Mariolatry. This collection will be of interest not only to Joyceans but to anyone with an interest in fresh approaches to gender and cultural studies.
Introduction: Joyce’s "Mamafesta": Mater and Material, Text and Textile, by Margot Norris
1. The Joyce Brothers in Drag: Fraternal Incest in Ulysses, by Susan Sutliff Brown
2. Female Property: Women and Gift Exchange in Ulysses, by Mark Osteen
3. "Lovely Seaside Girls" or "Sweet Murders of Men"? Fatal Women in Ulysses, by Lesley Higgins
4. S/He-Male Voices in Ulysses: Counterpointing the "New Womanly Man," by Martha F. Black
5. Socialism, Gender, and Imagery in Dubliners, by Heyward Ehrlich
6. Joyce and the Myth of the Mediatrix, by Mary Lowe-Evans
7. Eros and Logos in Ulysses: A Jungian Pattern, by Jean Kimball
8. The Masquerade of Gender: Mrs. Kearney and the "Moral Umbrella" of Mr. O’Madden Burke, by Garry Leonard
9. "Circe": Joyce’s Argumentum ad Feminam, by Ewa Ziarek
10. Fabric and Fame in The Odyssey and "Penelope," by Margaret Mills Harper
Jolanta W. Wawrzycka is associate professor of English at Radford University in Virginia. Her publications include works on Joyce, Milan Kundera, Roman Ingarden, and Roland Barthes, as well as translations from Polish.
Marlena G. Corcoran is an independent scholar associated with the University of Iowa and Harvard University’s Center for Literary and Cultural Studies. She has published numerous articles on Plato, Aristotle, Kant, Rushdie, and Joyce, as well as translations from French and German.
„Über diesen Titel“ kann sich auf eine andere Ausgabe dieses Titels beziehen.
Pennsylvania Residents please add 6% PA Sales tax to total including shipping. All books are guaranteed and may be returned within 30 days of purchase date for a full refund of the purchase price.
Orders usually ship same or next business day. Shipping costs are based on books weighing 2.2 LB, or 1 KG. If your book order is heavy or oversized, we may contact you to let you know extra shipping is required especially on international orders.
akzeptiert von diesem Verkäufer