Gently used. Expect delivery in 20 days. Buchnummer des Verkäufers
"This Malevole is one of the most prodigious affections that ever conversed with nature: a man, or rather a monster, more discontent than Lucifer."
The Malcontent is a striking example of the new satiric tone and moral seriousness in English comedy of the early 1600s. The play's vision of a fallen humanity driven by lust and ambition is created partly by its depiction of Machiavellian intrigue in the court of Genoa, and partly by the disaffected Malevole, the malcontent of the title, who is actually the deposed Duke Altofronto in disguise. Marston's tragi-comedy is full of reversals, surprises and moral transformations and offers a thin disguise for the Jacobean court and its vices.
This new student edition contains a lengthy new Introduction with background on the author, date and sources, theme, critical interpretation and stage history.
New Mermaids are modernized and fully-annotated editions of classic English plays. Each volume includes:
• The playtext, in modern spelling, edited to the highest bibliographical and textual standards
• Textual notes recording significant changes to the copytext and variant readings
• Glossing notes explaining obscure words and word-play
• Critical, contextual and staging notes
• Photographs of productions where applicable
• A full introduction which provides a critical account of the play, the staging conventions of the time and recent stage history; discusses authorship, date, sources and the text; and gives guidance for further reading.
Edited and updated by leading scholars and printed in a clear, easy-to-use format, New Mermaids offer invaluable guidance for actor, student, and theatre-goer alike.
Titel: The Malcontent (Revels plays)
Verlag: Methuen young books
Zustand: very good
Buchbeschreibung Methuen young books 1975 Paperback, 1975. Buchzustand: Fair. 268 pages. Buchnummer des Verkäufers 245378
Buchbeschreibung Methuen young books, 1975. Buchzustand: Fair. This book has hardback covers. Ex-library, With usual stamps and markings, In fair condition, suitable as a study copy. Buchnummer des Verkäufers 4255805
Buchbeschreibung Methuen & Co, 1975. Buchzustand: Fair. This is an ex-library book and may have the usual library/used-book markings inside.This book has hardback covers. With usual stamps and markings, In fair condition, suitable as a study copy. No dust jacket. , 550grams, ISBN:0416806902. Buchnummer des Verkäufers 6041300