Titel: The New Grove Dictionary of Musical ...
Verlag: MacMillan Press Limited
Einband: Hard cover
Über diesen Titel
The New Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments is the definitive guide to over 12,000 musical instruments from around the world. It encompasses western, non-western, and developing-world cultures, and includes classical, folk, and popular music. It also covers instruments of all ages--from the ancient water organ to the synthesizer.
The Dictionary describes each instrument individually and in the context of instrument families. It charts the history, development, musical function, and inter-cultural links of each instrument as well as its construction, performance practice and technique.
The New Grove Dictionary also explores the cultures and societies that have created these instruments and the various non-musical functions of certain instruments.
The New Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments includes:
· Unprecedented coverage of Western musical instruments--from early European instruments, to the development of the organ and the violin, and continuing into the twentieth century with computers and synthesizers
· 6,000 articles on non-western developing-world and folk instruments
· Detailed catalogs of the world's private and public instrument collections, a survey of forgery, and a study of restoration and maintenance techniques
· Articles on performance practice and technique--such as tuning, ornamentation, fingering and improvisation
· Biographies of instrument makers--from the Greek inventor Ctesibius to the violin makers of Italy to today's manufacturing giants
Do you long to understand the inner workings of the accordion? Are you puzzled by the viola d'amore and its place in the family of stringed instruments? Do you think that "crwth" is a typographical error? You can have almost any imaginable question about musical instruments--Western and otherwise, ancient and modern--answered with a quick look through The New Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments, an exhaustive three-volume reference work that will tell you, for example, that the crwth is a Welsh term for a plucked or bowed lyre. (It doesn't, however, offer a pronunciation guide in such cases, which would be helpful.) While aimed primarily, in terms of price and breadth of content, at libraries and music professionals, this is a fun set to have around for almost any dedicated music lover.
„Über diesen Titel“ kann sich auf eine andere Ausgabe dieses Titels beziehen.
We offer quality used and rare books, art, and ephemera by mail. Buy with
confidence! We have been full time book dealers for 25 years.
Prices net to all. All orders professionally packed and shipped promptly. For
domestic orders, please add $4.50 for Media Mail shipping ($1.50 for each
additional book in same order). Priority Mail available upon request. Please
include mailing address with zip code and we will provide shipping cost.
International shipping at cost, and again, we will quote cost ...
Shipping costs are based on books weighing 2.2 LB, or 1 KG. If your book order is heavy or oversized, we may contact you to let you know extra shipping is required.
akzeptiert von diesem Verkäufer
Vorauskasse Money Order PayPal