Brand New, Unread Copy in Perfect Condition. A+ Customer Service!. Buchnummer des Verkäufers
Inhaltsangabe: How much do you know about women astronomers? Besides Sally Ride, the first woman astronaut in space, probably not much. Women Astronomers: Reaching for the Stars by Mabel Armstrong, features short biographies of the key female scientists in this area. Women Astronomers: Reaching for the Stars is one of the few books on women in astronomy specifically targeted to young women in high school---but it's a great read for any age!
You'll read about:
* Hypatia of Egypt, who worked in the famed Library at Alexandria, and invented the astrolabe around 400 B.C. She created it to locate and track the movement of the stars, and also labored to produce a detailed table of her observations. Sailors used the astrolabe and Hypatia's tables for navigation for the next 1200 years.
* America's First Lady of Astronomy was Maria Mitchell, of Nantucket, Massachusetts. She found her first comet in 1847, 61 years after Caroline Herschel of Hanover Germany--the first recorded modern female astronomer.
* Women were used as "computers," doing calculations necessary for astronomy and astrophysics from the 19th to the early 20th century. Females were employed because they could be paid less than male clerks, traditionally hired for such work. Many of America's greatest women astronomers got their start in this occupation.
* Two exceptional women led to the creation of the Hubble Space Telescope: Nashville's Nancy Grace Roman--frequently called the "Mother of the Hubble Space Telescope"--and Margaret Peachy Burbidge of the U.K.
* Women Astronomers: Reaching for the Stars describes these women and many more throughout history.
* Plus an important feature about today's "Rising Stars"!
Inhaltsangabe: Armstrong's book may just be the necessary incentive for a young lady to choose a challenging career
Buchbeschreibung Stone Pine Press, 2008. Buchzustand: Good. N/A. Former Library book. Shows some signs of wear, and may have some markings on the inside. Buchnummer des Verkäufers GRP11670838
Buchbeschreibung Stone Pine Press, 2008. Buchzustand: Good. N/A. Ships from Reno, NV. Shows some signs of wear, and may have some markings on the inside. Buchnummer des Verkäufers GRP86546337
Buchbeschreibung Stone Pine Press. Paperback. Buchzustand: VERY GOOD. little to no wear, pages are clean. The cover and binding are crisp with next no creases. Buchnummer des Verkäufers 2760168801
Buchbeschreibung Stone Pine Press. Paperback. Buchzustand: VERY GOOD. Cover and pages show some wear from reading and storage. May have creases on the cover and binding caused from handling and reading. Some pages may contain writing and or highlighting. Buchnummer des Verkäufers 2762508444
Buchbeschreibung Stone Pine Press. Paperback. Buchzustand: Good. Light shelving wear with minimal damage to cover and bindings. Pages show minor use. Buchnummer des Verkäufers G0972892958I3N00
Buchbeschreibung Stone Pine Press. Paperback. Buchzustand: Good. Ex-Library Book - will contain Library Markings. Book shows a small amount of wear to cover and binding. Some pages show signs of use. Buchnummer des Verkäufers G0972892958I3N10
Buchbeschreibung Buchzustand: Good. This is a paper back book. The cover or pages have curled corners. The pages have normal wear. We ship Monday-Saturday and respond to inquries within 24 hours. Buchnummer des Verkäufers 3O6C9N000U2X
Buchbeschreibung Stone Pine Press, 2008. Paperback. Buchzustand: Used: Good. Buchnummer des Verkäufers SONG0972892958
Buchbeschreibung Buchzustand: Very Good. Book Condition: Very Good. Buchnummer des Verkäufers 97809728929573.0
Buchbeschreibung Stone Pine Press, 2008. Paperback. Buchzustand: Very Good. Buchnummer des Verkäufers P020972892958